Salt Sugar Fat: How the Food Giants Hooked Us - Michael Moss Ugh... What *can* I eat? :-) It's funny... I listened to this, and I had only really seen the title of the book, not the tag line. When the narrator first said it, I thought he said "How the Food Giants F*cked Us". And honestly, that's not too far off. I get it... it's hard, if not impossible, to make tasty food that will sit on the grocery shelf without spoiling without using sugar, fat, and/or salt. And apparently high levels of them. But there's something really wrong when study after study has proven how harmful these substances are in the quantities used in processed foods, they've correlated the rise in heart disease, obesity, diabetes, cancer, and any number of other health issues to the rise in processed foods, and yet the food companies seem only interested in making a profit and being number one in their respective grocery aisles. It seems there's no corporate responsibility.

It's pretty telling when the heads of those food companies and the scientists creating the foods avoid the types of food they sell or make. I also found it interesting that the tobacco companies who purchased food processors along the way were able to draw a correlation between what tobacco did to the body and the resulting public backlash and how food processors were going to have to deal with obesity or possibly face the same consequences. Things that make you go hmmmm... (Oh, and apparently the food companies are still in denial.)

It was also really interesting (and very sad) to see how food processors have manipulated the US (and world) diet to their advantage. They've also manipulated the governmental agencies that I thought were supposed to work for the good of the people, not the good of the farmers or the good of the food processors.

There was tons of information in this book. The overriding message I got out of it is that I need to make my own food as much as possible. It's the only way to truly control what goes in my body and those of my family. Of course, in today's busy culture, it's hard to not rely on processed foods to some extent. But it's making me look hard at what I eat, the ingredients on the products I buy... definitely an eye-opening book.