Witness Protection (The Witness, #1) - Bec Botefuhr So... this really had the bones of a good story. There were just things here and there that really bugged me. One of the biggies is she really needs an editor. I know, I know... self-published author and it's so expensive. I get that. But there has to be someone within her circle of friends... a friend of a friend... someone who can give her some good guidance on things that don't make sense or copy editing issues, word usage (she really needs to review when to use "then" vs "than", among other things), etc. This could have been so much better.

One thing that drove me nuts was when someone got mad, it was like white-hot, instantaneous mad. There was no in between or ramp up to a big shouting match. Sure, I think maybe everyone gets that way now and then, but with Maya and Ryder, it was like that all the time. And then they'd each say things that were unforgivable, and then forgive each other. And then it starts again.

Near the end, when she was raving about him lying to her? He didn't lie. He didn't tell her everything, but he didn't lie. In my mind, it's a big difference. If she'd asked him point-blank about some things and he just didn't divulge the info, that's one thing. But it's not even a subject that would have come up. That little anger session was a bit overboard for me.

I'm also going to go out on a limb and say this was set in Australia (as far as I remember, it wasn't clear), and I'm not going to research it, but maybe Australia doesn't have a drinking age? Or it's lower than the US? Because here's this 19-year-old girl getting wasted with police officers. Not that 19-year-old girls in the US don't get sloshed, but it would be frowned upon for police officers to encourage it. And then, when her 17-year-old sister came over, she went and got bottles of wine? I'm pretty sure that means the sister was drinking or else Maya was a lush.

I definitely give points for creative use of a wildlife preserve.

All that said, it was an entertaining story aside from the stuff that bugged me. I had heard going into this one that the editing wouldn't be there, but I wanted to give it a shot because I'd heard good things about the story. So, I have another freebie from this author that I hear is also good, and I'll give it a shot.