Game Change: Obama and the Clintons, McCain and Palin, and the Race of a Lifetime - John Heilemann, Mark Halperin Sooo.... I'm thinking this was not a favorite book of Hilary Clinton. And McCain and Palin. And John Edwards. Obama came out of this smelling like a rose.

It was just such an interesting juxtaposition of the Obama and Clinton campaigns. Clinton's seemed to be in disarray and full of infighting with no singular, clear message on Hilary. Or when it came, it was too late. And I don't think Bill's involvement helped her at all. (I can't believe he was STILL -- maybe still is -- cheating on her!!) Compare that to Obama's campaign which seemed to run like a well-oiled machine. He had a clear message from the get-go, and his campaign supported that. Plus the campaign workers didn't hate each other, which probably made for a more effective work environment. Just not sure this book would help Hilary if she plans a 2016 bid, because a lot of it revealed her to be undecisive, unaware (when her campaign was going off the tracks), low-handed at times, and it was almost as if she felt entitled to the position. Or that was my impression of it.

I think the one thing Obama did that was maybe fishy but certainly not unheard of in politics was vehemently declaring he wasn't going to run -- twice -- and then working behind the scenes to see if it was feasible. And then backtracking his declaration to run for office. Again, flip-flopping is all too common in American politics.

But the other characters... John Edwards and his affair with Rielle Hunter. John Edwards' wife was apparently a raging bitch to John. That Rudy Guiliani would answer the phone from his wife while he was in front of a group of people giving a speech because "it was easier to answer now than to deal with it later". That Cindy McCain was possibly having an affair and John asked his staff to talk to her about it. WTF? I don't think we need an alpha male declaring war every other day in the White House, but can we have a strong candidate? And Palin. I almost feel a bit sorry for her, but she did sign on for it AND she's kept herself in the spotlight ever since. So she may have been miserable during the campaign, but I think she's turned lemons into lemonade for herself.

Anyway, it was a very interesting narrative on how the 2008 candidates came to be the 2008 candidates.