Page 93 - Maggie Montgomery This was a fun story. We have Rae, born and bred in the South. The story is told from her first-person POV. She's been divorced from her husband. They have a child together, but her ex realized he was gay, so they divorced. As a result, Rae has had trouble re-entering the dating world. Her best friend has been pushing her for a long time, but Rae felt (and I can understand this) that since she wasn't curvy or voluptuous, it must have been her "boyishness" that allowed her husband to stand to be with her. She has a bit of an esteem issue in that respect, but in every other respect, she's a self-confident Southern woman.

And we have her new neighbor, Alec, who is third-generation Japanese American, recently transplanted from Indiana. He lives with his young son, but his wife died in an accident. Alec was very much in love with his wife, so he was a bit surprised when he first saw and felt familiar stirrings for Rae.

The story takes place during a rare Georgia snowstorm. Rae's daughter is visiting her ex, and because of the snow (Georgia shuts down for snow), that's where her daughter will stay until things clear up. Likewise, Alec's son is with Alec's parents. And when Alec attempts to drive his car to the store during the snowstorm, he ends up in Rae's gardenia bushes. Which is a perfect opening for dinner. And then an impromptu makeout session. And when they both realize how steamy it's getting, Alec hops up, says he's sorry, and leaves. Leaving Rae very confused. But Alec redeems himself. Boy does he redeem himself.

Besides their story of explosive chemistry and even more explosive sex, there were lots of great things about this story. I loved that the author used y'all (and used it, IMO, spelled properly, lol), and there were lots of fun Southern type things included throughout the book. And it was funny to hear about the neighborhood gossip. Here's just one little excerpt that made me smile:

It was the moment every little girl dreams of from the first time she sees Gone With the Wind. Except my Clark Gable was Japanese. And a Yankee. And we were in the suburbs, where it was snowing. Oh, and we were naked. Long live the new South.

Indeed!